POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Reinitialize variables each frame? Render speed decay? : Reinitialize variables each frame? Render speed decay? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:28:46 EDT (-0400)
  Reinitialize variables each frame? Render speed decay?
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 8 Oct 1998 14:35:20
Message: <361CF888.6A9B2D3E@aol.com>
Does POV-Ray initialize all variables between frames?  Can any variable
declarations made at the "end" of the processing of one frame be
available at the beginning of the next frame?  Does information "build
up" and make the last frame render more slowly than the first?

The implications are twofold:
1. In planning a flocking animation, I would want data from one frame
available to the next. I could avoid installing POV 3.1, with its read &
write capabilities, if there were some other way to let data hang
around.
2. I'm currently making a 250 frame animation.  The render time near the
beginning was 18 minutes/ frame.  Each frame takes progressively longer,
and at frame 170, I'm up to 27 minutes per frame. The October 15th IRTC
deadline is fast approaching!  While it's possible that more complex
effects exist at the end of the animation, I am wondering if I might be
able to finish this whole thing more quickly if I were to stop and start
the whole thing again at the current frame.

Greg M. Johnson
http://members.xoom.com/gregjohn